Thursday, February 16, 2012

Thursday February 16, 2012

Hi everyone! I just wanted to enter an update. Every month I go to have my porta cath flushed, which means they inject saline solution into it to make sure it doesn’t clot. They drew blood also and yesterday I got the results that my CA-125 was 10.6!!! That is the lowest it has ever been! I see the oncologist today for my 3 month visit. Then I have my 3 month visit to the surgeon on March 5. I’m still a bit anemic with my hemoglobin at 11.1 (normal is 12-14) but I feel that I have lots of energy. In fact, Shannon gave me a pair of turtle earrings as a reminder to slow down. I still have the neuropathy in my feet but I’m taking medication that seems to help it a bit. My toes are still numb but the bottoms of my feet are better.

On the dissertation front….my mentor/Chair has the first four chapters and has completed his review of the first three with very few editing comments. I know I have a few more pieces to add to the literature review (Chapter 2) but that will be very minor. This upcoming 3 day weekend, I plan to get those first four chapters completed and off to the editor on Tuesday. Then I will work on Chapter 5. I’m hoping that by the end of March I should be able to plan the date for my defense with my whole committee. After that, there are just administrational tasks to get the dissertation published. I plan to “walk” and publically receive my Ph.D. in Psychology on June 17, 2012. It has been a long journey and such an amazing learning experience. I am really glad I did this.

Our band finally has a name! We are officially “Mojave Moon”. We have a website…Mojavemoonband.com. Of course, there isn’t much there now, but we (meaning Shannon) will eventually be adding info, pictures, and upcoming gigs. We have our first gig already planned…we are playing for the entire 8th grade student body at our middle school. That will probably be our toughest crowd. So we are rehearsing weekly to prepare for that one and then in April we should be ready to start booking. I am taking weekly bass lessons and learning so much. I played bass for many years but never fully understood the whole instrument. Now I’m learning that there is a reason for the bass having more than the first two strings! :)

I have been completing quilting projects. I finally finished Betty’s tote bag that was her Christmas present and gave it to her last weekend. I have the binding machine sewn onto Cory’s quilt…just need to do the hand sewing. I have coffee cup blocks that I started for my friendship group the “Cut Ups” so I need to get them finished before next Wednesday. I turned in a UFO (unfinished objects) list for the President’s Challenge at my quilt guild (Pine Needles Quilt Guild) with 25 projects to complete. Yikes! But once the dissertation is completed, I can get most of these projects completed by the challenge deadline of October.

I am still totally in love with my job. Every day is a new experience and I love working with the students one at a time. I never have to do discipline and I get to encourage, motivate, and inspire students each day. It is so rewarding! There is never enough time to get to all of the things I want to do though. I have intentions of setting up a career center, going into classrooms and giving social skills/career/high school A-G requirements lessons, and starting a gay/straight alliance on our campus. But I realize I will not be able to accomplish all of these things this year. We will be having Career Day on May 30 where I will be inviting people in a variety of occupations to present to the students. If there is anyone who reads this who would like to talk about their career to 7/8 grade students, please let me know. :)

I think that is all for now. I will try to update this blog monthly.
Hugs to everyone!
Dar

No comments:

Post a Comment