Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Wednesday 06/01/11

Last week I felt pretty good. I was able to play in my quilting studio, go to my quilting friendship group, The Cut Ups, on Wednesday evening, and do the initial coding for the first participant interview of my Ph.D. program. I take lots of breaks and honor my body’s need for rest in between projects.

This past weekend was really nice. Shannon and I ran a bunch of errands on Saturday. Betty, her son Jason, Corey, Sean, and Lindsay came over on Sunday for a BBQ but it was so cold and windy we opted for oven cooked ribs and lots of side salads. Monday we went to Lowes and bought a table and chairs and some reed privacy fencing for the newly concreted small front yard. We also bought a two person swing and a cool fountain for the newly concreted side yard. If anyone needs any concrete work done, let me know. Jason did an AWESOME job!

My birthday yesterday was quiet. Lindsay came over and helped me clean out some of the kitchen cupboards. I still don’t have the flexibility to get to the bottom cupboards so Lindsay took charge (as usual ) and in no time we had those cleaned out and three of the upper cupboards. The rest I can do a little at a time. Cristy and Mike came over for a little bit and then Betty came by. Shannon stopped for pizza on the way home from work so Betty, Shannon, and I had dinner together. Martha dropped off a manila envelope with birthday cards made by the students in my class. They were fun to read.

Wes is on his way home from Long Beach this morning. He is going to put the swing and table together this afternoon. Hopefully it will warm up. Seems like spring and summer are a long time in getting here this year. I’m going to see about getting that second interview coded this morning before Wes gets here. It is a process that takes concentration, quiet, and no interruptions.

I’m feeling good right now and my next chemo treatment is this Friday. I’m usually ok the next two days after chemo but it seems that days 3, 4, and 5 are the toughest. But last time was lots easier than the time before so I’m hoping the side effects will be even less this time.

I don’t know how many of you have watched the “Ghost Whisperer” but there is an episode where Melinda’s husband, Jim, is killed and his spirit enters another man’s body. At first Jim doesn’t realize that he has a new body but several episodes later he becomes Jim but in this other body. I think about this episode when I look in the mirror now. Without my wig I see someone I don’t recognize in the mirror and with my wig it is the same thing. I know it is me inside but the person staring back at me is barely recognizable. It is certainly a disconcerting experience. Needless to say, I try to stay away from mirrors when at all possible.

A big thank you to all who sent Birthday wishes by Facebook, email, snail mail, phone texting, or in person. It really meant a lot to me.

Hugs to all,
Dar

No comments:

Post a Comment