Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Tuesday 01/11/11

I wanted to create this blog after I was diagnosed with cancer at the end of a 3 day hospital stay that ended 12/23/10. After lots of scans and procedures they can find no mass or tumor. However I have ascites (fluid in the abdomen) that accumulates, and out of that fluid was found the cancer cells. I was so amazed at the outpouring of love and support from so many friends that I thought this would be a good way to keep people updated, at their convenience.

I saw Dr. Berman at the University of Irvine Medical Center yesterday and he will be scheduling surgery for, at the latest, next week. He will do a complete hysterectomy and look around to see if he can find the primary site.

Today I have a PET scan as well as a pre-op EKG and blood work.

My daughter, Lindsay (who is an ICU nurse), has taken family leave so she has been with me every step of the way. I am so grateful for her. I just do not know how people who are sick and alone navigate this medical and insurance maze. Shannon has had to do double duty and take care of all the critters and me even after driving 120 miles each way to work. I am very fortunate. After almost 2 years of unemployment, my son Wes, has been working the past couple of weeks as a Journeyman Electrician. It's good for him to keep busy and make some money at the same time.

I will try to update this regularly to keep everyone in the loop.

Thank all of you for your support, love, prayers, and positive energy. Hugs! Dar

3 comments:

  1. Darlene, I am so thankful for you taking the time to let us know how your doing. I have you down for an appointment this Friday. Let me know if you want to keep it or not. I would love to see you, so if you need anything call, so I will have an excuse to come bother you. LOL. Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow i am so sorry to hear about your current medical condition.If there is anything that I (we)can do for you please feel free to ask.I am off work so i have time for anything at anytime.It is nice to see you still have a sense of humor through this ordeal you are going through.As i told Shannon I have been thinking about you and praying for you and your family and i will continue to,You are tough and this is just a test from god you will fight this and you will WIN.Keep your head and your spirit held high.God Bless you and your Family Darlene.And once again call me if you need ANYTHING @ ANYTIME 909-559-5521 Sincerely Mike Sharon Samantha Bailey LOVE YA DAR

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished talking with Shannon and i so wanted to be there on the 20th when you have your surgery but it is to my understanding you don't want any guest there and i can understand that 100% I will be thinking and praying for you Darlene and you entire family.And for Shannon if there is something you need or want just give me a buzz and i will be right there for you.And Lindsay thanks so much for keeping us up to date.Can't wait until we all see each other again.Love ya and thinking of ya...God Bless

    ReplyDelete