Friday, February 18, 2011

Friday 02/18/11

Today was quite an eventful day.
I arrived at the oncologist’s office right before 9:00am. It took until about 10am for me to get hooked up to the first bag of anti-nausea medicine. There were three bags. Then around 12:30 they gave me the first of the cancer drugs. Within a few seconds of getting that drug I went into an anaphylactic reaction and stopped breathing. They drug me off the recliner onto the floor and gave me an epi pen and a few other things. I woke up asking why I was on the floor while looking at four people hovering above me. I was only out for a minute or so. They got me up and back into the chair and then gave me the other cancer drug that I had no problem with.

I have an appointment with the oncologist on Tuesday to talk about what drug I will be using as an alternative. It appears there are a number of alternatives but most people tolerate the one they gave me. The PA (Physician’s Assistant) who basically runs the chemo room said I probably wasn’t allergic to the drug itself, but to the solvent that is used to make the drug usable in an IV delivery system. She said in 9 years she had never seen someone have such a sudden reaction. She just happened to have an epi pen in her pocket that she thought she might need on another patient who was getting a blood transfusion. The Universe works in mysterious ways.

Lindsay picked me up around 5pm and we went to the pharmacy to get some more prescriptions.

I feel ok now. Came home and ate dinner. Just feeling a bit fatigued. I don’t feel sleepy just whipped.

So I’m gonna take it easy the rest of the evening and the weekend.  

Hugs to all of you,
Dar

No comments:

Post a Comment