Monday, February 14, 2011

Monday 02/14/11 6:30am

I didn’t write yesterday because I was a bit frustrated with my legs filling up with fluid again. But I figured out a way for me to recline on my chair with pillows under my legs and feet so they were higher than my heart. That seemed to help because I have minimal swelling this morning. Hopefully this will last through the day.
I went all day and night without Vicoden, just Motrin. I folded some clothes, emptied and filled the dishwasher, took a shower unassisted, started the second book by Alan Alda, and watched some TV.
I also finished all the applique on my Pine Burr quilt top! Now I need to have the energy to quilt it and I should have one entry to the San Bernardino County Fair!
Yesterday I spoke with another woman over the phone who has ovarian cancer. She goes to the same chemo center I will be going to and in fact she is also going this Friday. She is on number 4 of the 6 scheduled treatments every 3 weeks. I asked her how long it took for her to feel recuperated from her surgery that she had in Nov. She said 6-8 weeks! That was so good to hear as I was wondering why I wasn’t better after 3 weeks. Now I can really relax and just let the healing happen. She said she has minimal side effects from the chemo. She walked me through the chemo process. They first give you 3 different medicines (through the porta-cath) to counter nausea, then there are 2 different chemo meds that are given in IV bags. One of the bags takes about 3.5 hours to administer. The whole process takes 5-6 hours. They also give you nausea meds to take home. She said she wakes up the night of the treatment and feels nausea, takes a pill, and goes right back to sleep. For her the 3rd day is most difficult with fatigue and nausea, but the meds help. Other than that she just feels more tired than usual. She said her hair started falling out at about the 2 week mark. She went and had it shaved off. She said she was fine until she sat in the chair and then she lost it. Everyone in the shop was crying. She bought a wig but only uses it when she goes out. Usually she wears a beanie, including at night, because she said her head gets cold. Her grandmother and mother live down the street so they have been taking care of the house and getting her twin high school students to their events as well as her other daughter who is about 10, I think. It will be comforting to have her there on Friday for moral support.
I am going to enjoy each day that is better than the one before.
On this Valentine’s Day I want to especially thank you all for your love and support. When I start to feel down, I think of all my friends and family who continue to share their love with me. I am so grateful for each and every one of you.
Hugs,
Dar

2 comments:

  1. Happy Valentine's Day, Darlene! You are showing such courage and patience to all of us. It's a gift to get to know you and learn about your treatment and recovery. One day at the time...Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Darlene,
    Will you need any help with getting to and from your chemo appt's? Just let me know and I will take you and bring you home anytime you need the help.
    Years ago my mom had chemo after her breast cancer and the only deal she made with me was I had to agree not to talk and ask questions on the way home after the treatment. I also had to agree not to go in the house with her. She needed me to take and pick her up but she needed to be left alone for a day after the treatment. I think its important for us to know what you need from us and what you dont want.
    love you! Sue

    ReplyDelete