Saturday, February 5, 2011

Saturday 02/05/11

It’s been a few days since I wrote. This healing business takes a lot out of a person. Last Tuesday Betty came over to Lindsay’s house and we went for a pretty long walk outside. I think I overdid myself. Had sore muscles in my legs and hips. That made getting up and down from chairs and the bed very difficult.
Lindsay went to work on Wednesday so I flew solo all day. Thursday Lindsay took me to the surgeon who inserted the porta-cath for a post op. Everything looks good. Then we went to the oncologist. I start chemo on February 18. I will be going once every 3 weeks. On the day I go I’ll be there for 5-6 hours. He anticipates 9-12 sessions. They will monitor my blood levels closely to make sure the drugs are working.
Lindsay took me home Thursday evening. It was a bit of a challenge to get situated but Shannon was home around 7:30pm. Wes came over yesterday morning and stayed the day with me. I think it was the turning point. Today my muscles didn’t hurt, I was able to eat, I can get up and down from the chair more easily. My legs, ankles, and feet are really swollen so Shannon spent hours just rubbing them. It is so calming. I don’t know what I would do without him. He has had to get up a couple of times during the night to help me up, yet he never complains or acts like it is a burden. Today he helped me move from chair to chair, with & without pillows, to find some position in which I could be comfortable.
I’m keeping up with the meds but it is getting more difficult to deal with so many on my stomach. Hopefully I can start to wean away from the pain meds. It is a balance.
Lindsay will pick me up on Monday to take me to the oncologist for blood tests and then we will be going to UCI for my post op visit from the surgery.
I’ll try to be better with this blog. There are just some days that even typing seems overwhelming. But I think I’m on the mend.
Thank you all for keeping me in your thoughts. Hugs, Dar  

No comments:

Post a Comment